Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/glendale/public_html/index.php:1) in /home/glendale/public_html/header.php on line 2

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/glendale/public_html/index.php:1) in /home/glendale/public_html/header.php on line 2

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/glendale/public_html/index.php:1) in /home/glendale/public_html/header.php on line 3
Glendale Football Club |

where am i? - glendalefc.co.uk - home

match report

league, premier division
saturday 23rd april 2011, 14:30pm away
glendale sat 2-1 forest united
A.Hollick, D.Richardson

at Wanstead Flats, Harrow Road

dales fight to premier division safety

posted by robpgfc on 23rd apr 2011, 09:25

Glendale secured their place in the Premier Division next season with a fighting victory coming from behind early on.

Opponents Forest United, fresh from a terrific cup final win on Wednesday night, were quick out of the traps and with the Dales missing a number of players once more, it looked like it would be a long afternoon in the hot sun.

Forest got their deserved lead from a free kick, curled around the wall and into the bottom corner expertly. The Dales did have a couple of decent half chances as JT and JJ hounded the backline and fed on scraps but the home defence managed to clear their lines sufficiently.

Forest went close on a number of occasions but were thwarted brilliantly by Dales reserve stopper Glen Shirley who tipped onto the post when a goal looked certain.

After the break, the transformation was sensational. With Danny Harding introduced to proceedings, the game changed dramatically as Andy Hollick, picking the ball up in space on the left, decided to re-enact David Beckham’s moment of splender against Wimbledon all those years ago as he drove in an effort from miles out which  sailed over the keeper and into the back of the net for 1-1. Admittedly Andy probably had no intention of the ball going near the goal but it looked good nonetheless!

That seemed to inspire the Dales as a host of efforts came their way. The critical second goal, the one which ultimately settled the game, came minutes later when a ball delivered into the box was cleared as far as the back of the box where Dave Richardson unleashed the most clinical of volleys into the roof of the net to make it 2-1.

The stunned cup winners had no answer and dropped their heads. Indeed they were
lucky not to concede further as Andy, JT and Hilly all have good efforts saved by the home stopper and the post was also struck. 

At the other end, there were a few good chances, including two which invoked wonderful saves from Glen as he twice tipped over the bar.

But the defence stood firm and this three points carried the Dales to safety and we can now look forward to the cup final and a fresh Premier Division campaign next season.